WHAT IS AN ONLINE COURSE?
An online course is a course that is Based on the use of information and communications technology for learning.
Now Selling an online course simply means selling of these information online through some electronic and technology means, could be through social media, emails, websites etc.
PROS AND CONS OF ONLINE COURSES
Pros of selling Online Courses
- High Margin
- Passive Income
- High Sales Price
- Reduced Costs
- Networking Opportunities
- Increased Instructor
- Access to Expertise
CONS OF SELLING ONLINE COURSES
- You Need An Audience.
- Copywriting Skills is Required
- Buyer Intent Is Low.
- Increased competition.
- Lack of physical contact
- Lack of confidence
Steps to create Online Courses for Free
1. Identify Goals
The first thing you need to do is figure out what your online course is trying to accomplish. You’ll need to identify your clients’ goals for the course so you can define the learning objectives. Understanding what skills or knowledge your learners need to gain will help you design an effective course.
2. Gather Content
When you’ve got an idea of what your course is going to accomplish, you’ll need to gather the information, images, logos, reference documents, and webpages you’ll use to build it. You’ll collaborate with subject matter experts and other stakeholders to figure out what should be included and how it’s relevant to the course’s learning objectives.
It’s best to do this before you start to create an online course so you can get a really great picture of how all the content fits together. This will save you tons of time during development.
You’ve got all your content and now you’ll fit it into a storyboard, or a visual outline of your course. This is sort of like a puzzle. You’ve got a bunch of content and now you’ve got to figure out how you’ll put the information together.
Storyboarding is a really creative piece of the process, where you’ll organize information, brainstorm the interactions and knowledge checks, and generally figure out how you’ll present content to learners.
Once you’ve got a completed storyboard, it’s a great time to check in with your client and make sure you’re on the right track.
4. Build a Prototype
You’ll work from your completed storyboard to build a prototype, or basic version of your course, using an e-learning authoring tool, such as Articulate Storyline or Studio.
You’ll include all the content and develop the interactions, quizzes, and other elements you need to create an effective online course. And you’ll publish it in a format that’s ready to share with your stakeholders.
5. Get Feedback
Share your prototype with the project stakeholders and ask for their comments. Make sure you get in-depth feedback that you really understand so that you can minimize revisions.
Then, you’ll implement their feedback and finalize the course.
6. Get the Course to Learners
You’ve got a finished course and now you need to get it it to your learners. How you’ll do this depends on your needs.
You might want to track your learners’ participation and make sure they passed the quizzes or tests in your course. If so, you’ll need a learning management system (LMS) that can deliver and track e-learning activity. If tracking’s not important, you can post your published course on a website or web server and simply share the link with learners. Work with your stakeholders to develop a delivery strategy.
7. Measure Your Success
Measuring the success of your course is an important final step. There are tons of great approaches to measuring your course’s success, from low-tech paper surveys to data-driven investigations of ROI and performance improvements.
Ideally, you’ll find out which aspects of your course were most effective, what learners liked, and what they didn’t like.
Effective measurement will help you iterate and improve future versions of your course, create better courses in future, and make more informed decisions about training programs.
Best Platforms to Create and Sell Online Courses
To create a successful online course, you’ll need a course creation platform that meets your specific requirements.
Thinkific offers a complete software solution to help you build, market, and sell your online courses. In addition to this, it lets you automate onboarding processes, course completion certificates, and student messaging.
- Offers themes to go with your course topics.
- Lets you create and customize your online courses.
- Doesn’t charge any sort of transaction fee.
- Drag-and-drop feature allows you to easily add content to your courses.
Teachable is a popular online course creation platform that lets you deliver your courses from your own site with your own branding.
- Control your branding, student information, and set pricing.
- Lets you personalize your course content.
- Supports popular audio, video, image, and text file types.
- Works seamlessly on every device including desktop computers, smartphones, and tablets.
Kajabi is a powerful online course creation and marketing tool that lets you create, deliver, promote, and sell education online. In addition to this, you can also leverage its built-in marketing features to sell more courses.
- Lets you choose your own custom branding including fonts, colors, and images.
- Each Kajabi website automatically gets a custom domain site.
- Lets you host videos on Kajabi that will run smoothly on any device.
- Member dashboard enables you to quickly view the products each customer has purchased and their payment and login history.
LearnDash is a widely-used course creation platform for WordPress that makes it easy to create and distribute knowledge online.
- Lets you quiz students using eight different question types, question banks, and custom messages.
- Set up a shopping cart for selling your online courses.
- Offers a number of useful integrations including Stripe, WooCommerce, Zapier, and bbPress.
- Supports almost every media type including audio, video, text, and Google Docs.
LifterLMS is simple yet powerful online course software that lets you build, market, sell, and protect your courses from within one platform. It’s a WordPress plugin which means you’ll have full control over your online course website.
- Offers drag-and-drop functionality that lets you create courses from one screen.
- Supports all popular e-learning file types including audio, video, and images.
- You own your course platform and have full control over payments.
- Lets you collect assignments and conduct quizzes.
Podia is a popular online course platform that lets you create and sell courses. It also works great for membership sites and for selling downloadable products.
- Offers support for all video and text file types in addition to .mp3 for audio.
- Lets you offer monthly installment plans to your students.
- Lets you customize your course pages based on your branding.
- Fully mobile responsive.
LearnWorlds is a premium course creation platform that lets you build engaging courses.
- Customize your course site’s branding including the style, theme, and logo.
- Offers beautiful sales and landing pages for your course site.
- Supports four different payment gateways namely Stripe, PayPal, Shopify, and 2Checkout.
- Online testing engine lets you create quizzes, assignments, and certificates.
- Gives you free unlimited hosting for your course videos.
#8: Digital Chalk
Digital Chalk is a powerful LMS software that enables you to create, market, and sell your courses and collect payments.
- Customize your courses to match your branding including images, logos, and colors.
- Offers built-in integration with Shopify to help you easily receive payments.
- Lets you create highly interactive course content using a variety of file types.
- Allows you to create courses outside of its platform and import them.
Ruzuku is a useful course creation platform that allows online instructors to sell their digital products.
- Supports audio, video, text, and PDF file types.
- Enables you to host and stream video and audio content.
- Lets you collect payments via PayPal and Stripe.
- Students will be able to track their progress by marking each activity they’ve completed.
AccessAlly is an all-in-one WordPress course creation plugin that lets you sell your online courses.
- Accept payments using PayPal and Stripe payment gateways.
- Lets you quiz students and score them on their tests.
- Allows you to securely host all kinds of content including videos, .mp3 files, and PDFs.
Click4Course allows you to create and sell your online courses and keep track of your students.
- Lets you customize your course site with your brand’s logo, image, welcome message, and colors.
- Test your learners and award certificates.
- Enables you to use videos and Powerpoint decks to create content.
ZippyCourses is a useful course creation platform that lets you create and sell online courses.
- Drag-and-drop interface allows you to effortlessly create your courses.
- Gives you a free custom domain for your course site.
- Lets you sell multiple versions of your courses with different access tiers.
- Offers integration with PayPal, Stripe, GetResponse, and more.
#13: Academy of Mine
Academy of Mine is a full-featured course creation platform that caters to the needs of both individuals and small businesses.
- It gives you the tools you need to build your own course site.
- Lets you conduct quizzes and monitor your students’ progress.
- Lets you customize your course content to match your branding.
Skillshare is a popular course building platform that lets you turn your knowledge and skills into a steady income stream.
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface.
- Supports web-based, iOS, and Android devices.
- Offers integration with MailChimp, Adobe, and Bigcartel.
Udemy is one of the most popular course creation platforms that aims to allow everyone to learn from experts.
- Lets you create audio, video, and text content for your online courses.
- Students are able to submit quizzes and get certificates of completion.
- Lets you collect payments through PayPal, Visa, Mastercard, and more.
WizIQ lets you create online courses to teach your students and offers tools to help you deliver an engaging learning experience.
- Provides tools for live training sessions including video streaming and discussion boards.
- Lets you create tests and assessments to check your students’ progress.
- Offers a built-in payment gateway to help you collect payments.
OpenSesame allows you to quickly set up your online course and start making money right away.
- Lets you upload video content to your course site.
- Students are able to access your courses using any LMS.
Selling Online Courses is a profitable business idea, that can generate passive income however there are some specific strategies you need to acquire to be able to get massive sales.
Some of which we made mention in this article, so it’s left for you to take action and get started.