WHAT IS CLICKBANK
If you didn’t already know, ClickBank is one of the largest sales platforms on the web. The company was founded in 1998 by entrepreneurs and has over 200 million customers worldwide.
Clickbank is an affiliate network known for being home to thousands of digital products like e-books, videos, and software. They’re simply middlemen between product vendors and affiliates.
If you’re the vendor, then you create your own product and set it up using Clickbank’s system. They then list your product in their marketplace so that tens of thousands of affiliates can see you. They handle the tracking using unique tracking links and cookies so they know exactly where the sale came from and credit the referring account accordingly.
Confused? It’ll be clearer in a moment. A lot of people start off as affiliates and then, later on, become vendors. We will focus on making money as an affiliate in this blog post, as it’s the simpler route.
As an affiliate, all you have to do is sign up for a ClickBank affiliate account and then start browsing their marketplace which lists all the available products from their partner vendors. Once you find a good product (we’ll get into that in a moment), ClickBank will give you a unique “affiliate link” that points to the vendor’s sales page. All you have to do then is make people buy through that link. You earn a commission for any sale made through your affiliate links.
Reports of scams run rampant across the internet. That’s especially true in the field of affiliate marketing.
When it comes to different affiliate networks, ClickBank is one that people seem to enjoy calling a scam.
However, many of such claims come from those who have only been using the network for a short time. In addition, there are plenty of favorable reviews of this affiliate network.
Having seen this contention on the internet, we decided to dig deep and uncover the truth.
So, what’s the truth? Is ClickBank actually a scam network, or is it a valuable resource for affiliate marketers?
Who Is Behind ClickBank?
ClickBank has been in business for 17 years, and has built a reliable reputation with over 200 million customers. According to their own website, they’re a top 100 online retailer.
What kind of products are hosted on ClickBank?
Vendors sell a wide range of digital products, from eBooks, software, website templates, apps, courses, webinars, games, guides, and much more. And in a variety of niches and industries, including – health and fitness, home and garden, cooking, food, and wine, software, and services, etc.
This means that the ClickBank marketplace is a great place to explore products to promote, as an affiliate.
What are the products actually like?
While a lot of the products are genuinely good, there’s always been a problem with ClickBank hosting a lot of low-end, poor quality, and sometimes scammy products.
The kinds of products I’m talking about are the notorious “Money Making Systems” and “Get Rich Fast Schemes”, often promoted through tacky banner ads, aggressive sales videos, copy-and-paste sales email templates, etc.
Yes, Sir, there is still plenty of that kind of crap hosted and sold on ClickBank, sadly, you just have to be smart and look past them, if you have the time and energy that is.
Now, I’m not saying all the systems sold through ClickBank are bad, but I’m always dubious about wasting my money on any false promises when I know first hand how hard you have to work to get real genuine results with your online business. I’m sure you would agree, right?
For the genuine stock of digital products available to promote through ClickBank, there’s still reason to use ClickBank as an affiliate.
IS CLICKBANK LEGITIMATE?
Yes! Clickbank is very legit. Clickbank is not alone in what they do. There are many similar affiliate networks( I list some at the end of this blog post). So why and when would you choose Clickbank over others? Here’s a breakdown of the top advantages I see:
- Very high commissions: Most ClickBank products pay 70%+ commission. You read that right. So in that case, if you sell a $100 product, you earn $70. You might think that’s way too high to be real, but it is. They’re mainly able to do that because most of their products are digital, which means there are no “production” costs, “shipping” costs or any other costs that are usually associated with physical products,hence the high commissions.
- They pay fast: As often as weekly or bi-weekly. Many affiliate networks pay on a NET 30 basis, which means they keep your money for 30 days after you’ve earned them. This can be a huge inconvenience and create cash flow problems especially if you’re running paid traffic.
- They’re newbie friendly: Some affiliate networks are strict when it comes to accepting new affiliates. They’re usually scared of fraudsters who can potentially jeopardize the network’s relationships with their advertisers and vendors by using shady promotional techniques. While this cautiousness is generally a good thing, it also makes it hard for new affiliates to get into those networks. How can you start taking your baby steps and experimenting with things when you’re not even allowed to promote any products?
- International affiliate friendly: Their direct deposit payment method works with Payoneer, a popular digital wallet that can help you easily get paid online no matter where you’re from in the world (with a few exceptions).
- Big variety of products: They have thousands of products available across about two dozen categories. That’s a lot of niches, a lot of products and a lot of opportunities.
IS CLICKBANK SAFE?
Yes. Clickbank is a network used by hundred of thousands if not millions of affiliate marketers. It is just a way to find new affiliate products to recommend and then connecting with the owner of the product.
Think is Clickbank as the Amazon or Walmart of affiliate offers. You can shop around, find what you like, and then promote it on your website.
HOW MUCH MONEY CAN I MAKE WITH CLICKBANK?
This is a highly subjective question. The biggest factors involved are the products you choose and how you promote them. We’ll break down exactly how to do that in the next sections. But if you’re asking if it’s possible to make money with Click Bank as an affiliate in general, then the answer is yes, definitely.
It’s not uncommon to see people doing 3 figures daily on ClickBank. A typical sale earns you $15-$50 in commission. Say the average is $30. This means you need 4 sales a day to hit $100+ Seems doable, doesn’t it? Depending on your level of expertise you could hit your first sale in days or months.
But if you’re a complete newbie, it’s not unrealistic to aim for your first sale in 2-3 months. From that point onwards, once you prove to yourself that it works, things become much easier.
If you’re looking for great examples of people making good money on ClickBank, check out Warren Wheeler of AMNinjas. He recently wrote a case study explaining how he was able to bring a brand new affiliate website from $0 to $300+ per day in less than 3 months with ClickBank.
Both of these posts discuss relatively different strategies. I’m actually going to get into both of those strategies as well as my recommended path to follow for beginners (and why I think beginners should follow it).
Things you need to know about click bank (The Good side)
OK, so let me start with what I think is great about ClickBank.
- Well established affiliate network. They’ve been around for a long time, since 1998.
- One of the largest affiliate network sites online, with thousands of digital products to choose from in every niche imaginable.
- Plenty of trusted products, however, finding them takes a bit of time and research.
- Well-documented knowledge base for both vendors and affiliates.
- Regular direct payments to affiliates. Payments are always made on time.
- Set your own payment threshold.
- Powerful and useful product insight, research, and reporting tools.
- Most reputable products hosted on ClickBank come with a money back guarantee. This is a great selling point and can help boost your affiliate conversions.
- ClickBank University for complete training on how to be successful with ClickBank and as an affiliate marketer.
Right, let’s get on with the few things that I think are bad.
- Dated looking website, account, and marketplace UI. Seriously, I could design a better website for ClickBank, it’s that bad.
- A lot of the products promotional material and content come with scammy looking banner advertisements, and email marketing templates. Personally, I would never place a ClickBank hosted product banner advertisement on my website. I don’t use many banner ads in any case.
- Far too many valueless, poor-quality, and scammy looking products hosting on ClickBank. Again, the ones I’m referring to are the obvious Make Money Fast Systems and Get Rich Quick scams.
- Those low-end products often come with aggressive sales landing pages attached to them that look like they were designed in 1995 using ClipArt. And, most of them riddled with annoying pop-ups and endless upsells. I’ve included a few screenshots of these landing pages below to give you an idea of what I mean by “dated” and “scammy” looking.
- High level of negative reviews of ClickBank online. In fact, there are quite a few of them on ConsumerAffairs.com
- Many independent reviews of ClickBank with average to negative conclusions.